Roman Countryside

Roman Countryside

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

The First Days (Part 3)

It is amazing how fast you get farmer's hands. I already have blisters lining my palms and cuts to match. The inside of my arms and my legs don a beautiful red rash from working with weeds all day. I'm a bit allergic to grass. But just like being dirty after a soccer game, or sweaty after a run, I like seeing the evidence of my work so I dont mind the minor itch or fleeting pain. The onions are hard to explain unless you have smelled fresh farm grown vegetables. When I fumble with my clumsy hands and uproot an onion instead of a weed, the sweetest smell hits my nose. It smells like candy yet better, and when I stole a bite it tasted just as good as it smelled. Fresh food really does taste better. Everything here is organic so Sandro uses no pesticides or hernbicides. The soil is full of spiders (I saw the largest spider I have ever yesterday...and no Mark, I didnt scream). So all Sandro has to worry about are the weeds, which I pick, and the chickens, which I chase away with a rake while screaming "shoo, shoo!" Last night Sandro taught me how to ride his scooter-best part of the day! It was easier than I thought and I rode around the farm squealing with laughter. I was like a little girl agan, learning to ride a bike, Sandro like my father standing at the end of the drive yelling encouragement (every third word of which I understood). Today I met Sandro's friend Matteo who speaks the best english of anyone I have met so far. He is a chef at an agritourism and he is by far the best cook I have seen...his frittata is unbelievable! (fresh eggs, olive oil, zucchini, sausage and cheese).
Its funny not understanding a language because I sit and listen while everyone talks and I just hope that no one thinks Im rude for sitting in silence. I wish so badly that I understood more italian-I would love to have a real conversation with someone.Yesterday Matteo and Sandro took me into town and Im realizing that without a basic knowledge of italian it will be hard to talk to the locals. Rome will be easier though-hopefully this weekend Sandro will show me the best way to get there.
Everyone here calls me something different. Sandro usually calls me "hey girl" or "A-reen!". Matteo calls me "baby" because he thinks 21 is so young compared to his 30 years. And Aurelio, the funniest, craziest old man I have ever met-the ripe age of 84-usually calls me Bella because he thinks I am so beautiful. Aurelio brought me a gift yesterday of fresh figs and some other fruit I dont know the name of-incredibly delicious! I showed Sandro pictures of my family and he refers to Mark as "animale" (I think thats how you spell it)-basically the beast. Although we figured out yesterday that he's an inch taller than Mark-he beasts you crapface. Today we went to another town to fill up the gas tank and we stopped to get some drinks. First I had cafe which is basically like super charged espresso with milk (very delicious) and I also had a croissant that tasted like lemons. Then I got a drink called cedrata-sort of like a fizzt lemon drink and it is incredibly delicious! On the way back we stopped for fresh pizza at a local bakery and again it was probably the best pizza I have ever had! It was drenched in olive oil and it was topped with tomato and it also had a fair amount of salt on it. I like the way the Italians eat-except for the indulgences today, we usually eat every 8 hours...which is how it should be. For the first time in a long time my stomach actually grumbles for food so it tastes better when I finally eat. But I never go hungry. The meals are big and filling and I always get my fill of wine.
Tonight Sandro and Matteo are going to outfit their military truck with whoofers and speakers and ride around town blasting music...should be interesting. And this weekend Matteo is going to have a bonfire at his house so Ill get to meet more people and struggle some more with conversation :)

Ciao for now,
Bella

6 comments:

  1. Hi Erin, everyday must be a new and exciting adventure. I admit i was nervous about your going, but I am so happy things are working out so well. Have fun and can't wait to hear more. Love, Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin, could you let me know the mailing address?
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love reading your entries. It makes me so happy because you sounds so happy. Love you sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Bella,
    Can you send me the address where you are? I'd like to go on Google Maps and see a satellite view of the farm.
    Also, we have some distant relatives on the Pasquariello side that owned a pasta shop. See if you can find out if they still exist. The name of it is Mirabella * Grotteminarda La Mana.
    Chuck

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will definitely search. they havent heard of it...do you know if it is in abruzzi or if it is in Rome? (Im near Rome) for you and dad- via fonte vecchia snc canneto sabino 02032(ri) italy

    ReplyDelete